Ball Corporation Reports Continued Progress Toward Sustainability Goals
May 28, 2013
BROOMFIELD, Colo., May 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Ball Corporation (NYSE: BLL) today released updated sustainability data, revealing considerable progress in its greenhouse gas emission and waste reduction efforts among other achievements. Throughout Ball's 133-year history, sustainability has remained a top priority. More recently, the company broadened and deepened its efforts to embed sustainability within its operations and the entire supply chain.
"We have made significant strides since we issued our third comprehensive biennial sustainability report in early 2012, particularly within our operations, which help reduce our environmental footprint and benefit the bottom line over time," said Bjoern Kulmann, Ball's director of sustainability. "Balancing our economic, environmental and social impacts is a major focus of Ball's Drive for 10 vision, and our emphasis on the triple-bottom line positions us for greater long-term success."
2012 sustainability highlights include:
- Due to its energy efficiency efforts around the world, Ball achieved a 4.8 percent reduction* of its Climate Intensity Index (compared to the 2010 baseline), a noteworthy step toward its 2015 greenhouse gas emission reduction goal of 10 percent.
- The company increased energy efficiency by approximately 5 percent in its global beverage, food and aerosol can businesses and by 19 percent in its aerospace business, as compared to the 2010 baseline. The company also reduced energy consumption in its slug business by 11 percent per weight of produced slugs.
- Twenty-one of Ball's 64 global manufacturing plants have now achieved zero waste to landfill status. Ball increased the amount of reused and recycled waste from 44 to 57 percent, and reduced the amount of waste that is landfilled from 30 to 22 percent since 2010.
- Ball joined the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative. This global organization seeks to establish a standard for aluminum sustainability to foster responsible resource management throughout the value chain.
Additionally, several organizations recognized Ball Corporation for its sustainability management and performance. These acknowledgments include:
- Ball Corporation ranked among Corporate Responsibility Magazine's 2013 Best 100 Corporate Citizens. CR Magazine's annual list is based on an assessment of publicly available information in seven key categories such as climate change, employee relations and philanthropy.
- RobecoSAM's corporate sustainability assessment listed Ball as a "Silver Class" Leader and "Sector Mover" in the containers and packaging sector. RobecoSAM conducts a yearly analysis of the sustainability performance of more than 2,000 companies covering major indices.
- Ball is one of only three global container and packaging companies to receive "Prime" status from oekom research AG, a European-based rating agency that is shaping the global market for sustainable investments.
For all 2012 sustainability data and information on Ball's ongoing sustainability efforts, please visit www.ball.com/sustainability.
About Ball Corporation
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable packaging solutions for beverage, food and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government. Ball Corporation and its subsidiaries employ approximately 15,000 people worldwide and reported 2012 sales of more than $8.7 billion. For more information, visit www.ball.com, www.twitter.com/BallCorpHQ or www.facebook.com/BallCorpHQ.
This release contains "forward-looking" statements concerning future events and financial performance. Words such as "expects," "anticipates," "estimates" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Such statements are subject to risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied. The company undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. Key risks and uncertainties are summarized in filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including Exhibit 99 in our Form 10-K, which are available on our website and at www.sec.gov. Factors that might affect our packaging segments include fluctuation in product demand and preferences; availability and cost of raw materials; competitive packaging availability, pricing and substitution; changes in climate and weather; crop yields; competitive activity; failure to achieve anticipated productivity improvements or production cost reductions; mandatory deposit or other restrictive packaging laws; changes in major customer or supplier contracts or loss of a major customer or supplier; political instability and sanctions; and changes in foreign exchange rates or tax rates. Factors that might affect our aerospace segment include: funding, authorization, availability and returns of government and commercial contracts; and delays, extensions and technical uncertainties affecting segment contracts. Factors that might affect the company as a whole include those listed plus: accounting changes; changes in senior management; the recent global recession and its effects on liquidity, credit risk, asset values and the economy; successful or unsuccessful acquisitions and divestitures; regulatory action or laws including tax, environmental, health and workplace safety, including U.S. FDA and other actions affecting products filled in our containers, or chemicals or substances used in raw materials or in the manufacturing process; governmental investigations; technological developments and innovations; goodwill impairment; antitrust, patent and other litigation; strikes; labor cost changes; rates of return projected and earned on assets of the company's defined benefit retirement plans; pension changes; uncertainties surrounding the U.S. government budget and debt limit; reduced cash flow; ability to achieve cost-out initiatives; interest rates affecting our debt; and changes to unaudited results due to statutory audits or other effects.
*Verified by WSP Environment & Energy after analysis of 2010-2012 greenhouse gas inventories. Assurance statement available at www.ball.com/sustainability.
SOURCE Ball Corporation